- We Must be Born Again »
- We Must Humble Ourselves »
- We Must Approach God in Prayer by the Blood of Jesus »
- We Must Approach God in Prayer with a True Heart »
- We Must Keep in Mind That the Main Thing in Prayer is to Seek God's Face »
- We Must Learn to Worry about Nothing and Pray About Everything »
- We Must be Patient While We Wait for Answers to Our Prayers »
4. We Must Approach God in Prayer with a True Heart
What is a true heart? It is a heart that is completely devoted to God. Psalm 119:10 is an example:
With my whole heart I have sought You. Oh, let me not wander from your commandments!"
The opposite of a true heart is one that is guilty of harboring divided affections. Just as it is a violation of marriage to harbor affections for another partner, so it is adultery against God to pray while harboring friendship with the world (James 4:1-10). Giving the world some of the love which belongs exclusively to Him is deadly to our prayer life. We must deal with this and other sins with honest confession accompanied by forsaking our wicked ways. God will enable us to do this by His grace and power.